Skip to content

Construction Permit Assistance

Runoff from construction sites can carry fine sediments and other pollutants that can harm aquatic life.  Practicing good sediment and erosion control at all construction sites can help keep our water clean and healthy. Construction sites over one acre in size, or smaller if part of a larger phased project, are required to get coverage under the Construction Stormwater General Permit (CSWGP). Following the requirements in this permit helps control and reduce water pollution.

Purpose of the Permit: The requirements of this stormwater management permit regulates the discharge of pollutants from construction projects to protect water quality in Washington State. The permit authorizes the discharge of stormwater and authorized non-stormwater associated with construction activity. The permit is a combined NPDES and State Waste Discharge Permit that limits the discharge of pollutants to surface waters.

Applying for Coverage under the Permit: Construction sites covered under the existing permit that reapplied for permit coverage will be covered under the new permit. New or unpermitted construction sites may obtain coverage under the permit by submitting a complete permit application to Ecology and satisfying all applicable public notice and State Environmental Policy Act requirements. Apply Online for Permit Coverage.

Your Right to Appeal: You have a right to appeal the final general permit and the general permit coverage for a specific facility to the Pollution Control Hearings Board (PCHB). Any appeal must be filed within 30 days of the issuance date of January 1, 2021.

Appeals of the general permit issuance or must be filed within 30 days of issuance of the general permit. See the Appeal of the General Permit Focus Sheet for more information.

Appeals of the general permit coverage for a specific facility must be filed within 30 days of the effective date of coverage. See the Appeal of a General Permit Coverage Focus Sheet for more information.

Copies of the Permit

You may request copies fromDena Jaskar at (360) 407-6401, or by visiting the Department of Ecology Permit Page.


If you have additional questions please contact Noel Tamboer (360) 701-6171