Construction BMP Guide: C107 Construction Road/ Parking Area Stabilization
Roads and parking areas shall be stabilized wherever they are constructed, whether permanent or temporary, for use by construction traffic. Stabilizing roads, parking areas, and other on-site vehicle transportation routes immediately after grading reduces erosion caused by construction traffic or stormwater runoff.
*The contents of this guide are to provide a general overview only. It is the users responsibility to ensure all BMPs utilized on their project meet the requirements of their state and local jurisdictions.
- On areas that will receive asphalt as part of the project, install the first lift as soon as possible
- Install 6 inch depth of 2-4 inch crushed rock, gravel base, crushed surfacing base course immediately after grading or utility installation. A 4 inch course of asphalt treated base may also be used, or the area may be paved.
- Roadways should be carefully graded to drain into drainage ditches directed into a sediment control bmp
- In some cases roadways can drain into an area of > 50feet of heavy vegetation.
- Protect storm drain inlets from sediment laden water
- Inspect stabilized areas regularly, especially after large storm events
- Crushed rock, gravel base, etc., shall be added as required to maintain a stable driving surface and to stabilize any areas that have eroded
- Following construction, these areas shall be restored to preconstruction condition or better to prevent future erosion.
- Perform street cleaning on paved areas at the end of each day or more often if necessary