Source Control Inspection Program Guidance Manual
Source Control Inspection Online Course
Are you supporting a Phase II jurisdiction with developing and implementing source control inspections? This training highlights critical items related to developing an inspection program, conducting inspections, and identifying potential issues. This course consists of four modules:
- Overviews of the manual, source control BMPs, and the permit
- Setting up an Inspection Program
- Implementing an Inspection Program
- Additional Resources
Source Control Inspection Program Guidance Manual Overview
The Source Control (Business/Site) Inspection Program Guidance Manual provides resources, templates, and strategies developed based on research, input, and experiences of jurisdictions that have developed similar programs. The manual was first posted in December 2021 and updates were made in 2022 and 2023. A brief summary of the updates is as follows:
- December 2021: PDF files for Chapters 1, 2, and 3 were originally posted.
- April 2022: PDF files for Chapters 4 through 8 were posted. Minor updates were made to the PDF files for Chapters 1, 2, and 3 to add hyperlinks to other chapters, clarify Western Washington 2019-2024 Phase II permit dates, and update the Chapter 6 title.
- July 2022: An example inspection form was posted with Chapter 5 (Survey123 format).
- November 2022: Business letter templates were posted with Chapter 4, an example inspection form was posted with Chapter 5 (Microsoft Word format), additional spill plan resources were posted with Chapter 7, and training materials were posted with Chapter 8.
- January 2023: Flyers and half sheets developed for this project were added to Chapter 7 (English PDF files and InDesign files).
- July 2023: Transcreated materials developed for this project in Spanish, Traditional Chinese, and Vietnamese were added to Chapters 4, 5, and 7. A link to the online training module was added to Chapter 8.
Topics covered by this manual address the key source control program requirements included in the Western Washington 2019-2024 Phase II permit:
|Western Washington 2019-2024 Phase II Permit Requirement/Section||Guidance Manual Reference|
|Definitions and Acronyms and all of S5.C.8||Chapter 1: Background and Regulatory Requirements|
|Adopt Ordinance(s) for Source Control Program (S5.C.8.b.i)||Chapter 2: Developing Source Control Code/Ordinances and Enforcement Policies|
|Establish Source Control Inventory (S5.C.8.b.ii)||Chapter 3: Source Control Inventory Development, Updates, and Prioritization|
|Implement Inspection Program (S5.C.8.b.iii)||Chapter 4: Developing a Business/Site Inspection Program|
|Implement Progressive Enforcement Policy (S5.C.8.b.iv)||Chapter 2: Developing Source Control Code/Ordinances and Enforcement Policies|
|Train Staff (S5.C.8.b.v)||Chapter 8: Training|
The purpose of the Source Control (Business/Site) Inspection Program Guidance Manual is to support Permittees in achieving compliance with Western Washington 2019-2024 Phase II permit requirements for the Source Control Program for Existing Development (S5.C.8 in the NPDES Phase II permit).
The Washington Stormwater Center was awarded funding from the Stormwater Action Monitoring (SAM) to develop a guidance manual and trainings to assist Phase II stormwater permittees with meeting the source control (business/site) requirements described in S5.C.8 of the Western Washington National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II Municipal Stormwater Permit (Western Washington 2019-2024 Phase II permit).